] google-site-verification: googlebff6a43135515ad3.html

Football Stadium, Millfield Road

Football Stadium, Millfield Road

Rear of the south stand of Clapton Stadium, Millfields Road (Hackney Archives)

This page is under development

millfieldsroad

Clapton Stadium form the south east

Plaque erected on the Millfields Estate to commemorate the stadium

Details

Ownership

Text

Date or period

Text

Current Designation

Text

Architectural Merit

Text

Historical Association

On 30th April 1921, the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII) attended a Clapton Orient game at Millfields, the first time a monarch had officially attended a football game, in order to commemorate the contribution and sacrifice of the players and staff in the Great War.

Greyhound racing, with a new type of electric hare, began at Clapton Orient's stadium in 1928. The Stadium was converted to the design of Sir Owen Williams; improvements included a restaurant in 1930 and covered stands and a second restaurant in 1939.

Footage of a match at Millfields Road in the 1920s. More

Archaeological Significance

Text

Group Value

Text

Condition

Text

Future Conservation

Text


leabridge.org.uk December 2012
]