James Latham was a 18th century timber merchant from Liverpool who moved to Shoreditch in 1815. From 1912 Latham's were also in Hackney where, in 1991, they employed 100-250 workers across a number of sites including Middlesex Wharf.
Date or period
Redeveloped for housing in about 2008
A desk top appraisal was undertaken prior to the redevelopment.
An assessment of the remaining buildings was undertaken in 2005. More
There is dramatic footage of a major blaze at Latham's Yard in 1940. More
The company of James Latham Ltd. remains in business today.
'Hackney: Economic History', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 10: Hackney (1995), pp. 92-101
London Archaeologist Vol.12 No.4 Spring 2009
AOC Archaeology, 2002. Latham’s Yard Environmental Statement: Standing Building Assessment.
MoLAS, 2002. Latham’s Yard, Clapton: An Archaeological Environmental Statement.