This page is under development
Date or period
London County Council accounts indicate the covered bandstand was constructed between 1904 and 1908. The LCC provided bandstand and funding for music to be played in its parks, gardens, and commons. Measure motivated by concepts of civic improvement but also to displace.
Performances at South Millfields in 1899 (presumably at the band stand) included the sectional band of the London County
Council and the Walthamstow Temperance Prize Band, which gave several performances
under the direction of Mr. C.H. Anderson. The Temperance Band was still active
in 1909, later becoming, or merging, with the Walthamstow Silver Prize Band
(1905 and 1911), Walthamstow Borough Band (1933), L.C.S. Forest Band (1970s),
Waltham Forest Co-op Band (1981-2001). It is known today as East London Brass.