] google-site-verification: googlebff6a43135515ad3.html

River god statue

River god statue

LB1 2


2010EE8449

The river god depicted on the Invitation to the opening of the Old Ford Waterworks in 1809 (V&A) CIS:E.4591-1923

Details

Ownership

Text

Date or period

Text

Current Designation

Text

Architectural Merit

Text

River god sculpture (Public Monument and Sculpture Association (http://pmsa.cch.kcl.ac.uk)



River God Sculpture by Joseph Theakston of York (1772-1842) was commissioned by East London Waterworks Company and installed and unveiled at Old Ford in 1811. When the Old Ford works closed, the sculpture was moved to the Old Water Wheel House at Lea Bridge Works. When the Lea Bridge site closed in 1971, the statue wasreinstalled in a sunken courtyard at Coppermill Lane Waterworks.[5]



leabridge.org.uk December 2012
]