A bungalow ‘shanty town’ grew up in the 1880s around Lea Bridge Station, at fringes of the expanding urban area of Leyton.
The settlement consisted of perhaps 69 wooden houses or shacks with wells and earth closets.
There was a wooden mission church.
Residents reared livestock and undertook market gardening.
The shanty town was demolished in the 1930's with the area north of the Lea Bridge Road used to create a speedway stadium.
Victoria County History. ESSEX. P 182. VOL 6.