Date or period
Jolly Anglers from at least 1750, possibly rebuilt in 1800 and extant (or rebuilt) by 1894 and possibly demolished at late as 1920. Smiths Ferry named from 1709 and obsolete at the opening of the turnpike circa.1750.
‘At the corner of North Mill Field, facing the River Lea, is the Jolly Anglers public house, which appears from its internal vestiges to be upwards of 300 years old. It seems originally to have been built of brick, and must have been very small. The primitive building consisted of the bar, kitchen, cellar, and small bed-chamber over the bar, while the other parts have been subsequently added by different tenants.’ 
Incorporated into Latham’s Yard and Essex Wharf Sites
Archaeological Priority Zone (LB of Waltham Forest) Archaeological Priority Area (LB of Hackney)
There is a short section of Pathe film showing the cottages at Midddlesex Wharf flooded at a date between 1910 and 1919. More
Associated with fisheries. Associated with the break down of the Lea bridge, the introduction of ferries and the decline associated with the–re-building of the Lea bridge. Salvation Army Mission and also a mission church (on maps).
The Jolly Anglers and the ferry, along with the approach paths from the west (Lower Clapton Road) and the east (the path lining the eastern edge of Essex Wharf have potential archaeological significance.
There is no visible survival of the public house or the ferry with the river embankments rebuilt and remodelled. A cobbled surface, which may be the road to the ferry from the east, does however survive travelling along the eastern boundary and within the Essex Wharf site.
 The Municipal Parks, Gardens, And Open Spaces Of London. Lieut.-Col. J. J. Sexby, V. Delliot Stock. 1905. Quoting John Thomas, MS. ' History of Hackney,' chap, iii., section 4, p. 42.