The White House Inn c. 1920 (Hackney Archives)
The inn was present by 1745 and closed when an application for a renewal of the licence was refused in 1911. It was demolished in around 1913. The location is now marked by a road bridge between Hackney Marsh and East Marsh.
The White House Inn may possibly have superseded the former White Hart Inn at Temple Mills, very close by. The White House Inn is possibly be a later incarnation of that earlier hostelry.
The Inn is associated with a crossing of the River Lea between Homerton and Leyton, firstly Tyler's Ferry, and then later a footbridge. The Inn also operated a fishery and was reputedly the haunt of highwaymen, including Dick Turpin.
The Museum of London hold's two copyrighted images of the Inn. The first is an illustration of the 'Beresford White House Inn'. The Beresford family name was associated with the Inn from at least 1841 until 1891. The second illustration of 'The White House, Hackney Marsh' by C Bigot shows a timber foot bridge with a modest single storey inn building that may be earlier.
These illustrations, together with the photograph from 1920, above, indicate that at least three separate buildings stood on the site.
Hackney Public Services A History of the County of Middlesex Volume 10. Hackney pp.108-15 (http://www.british-history.ac.uk).