] google-site-verification: googlebff6a43135515ad3.html

Low Hall Pump House

P1030098
P1030108
P1030110
P1030099

Details

Ownership

Trust/ LBWF

Date or period

1877-1896

Current Designation

Listed Grade II

Architectural Merit

High (Noted for early use of rolled steel roof joists/trusses).

Low Hall Pump House

The former Walthamstow Urban District Councisewage pumping station is now a steam engine museum and listed Grade II.

The pump house was built in 1877 and extended to west in 1896.The building is notable for early use of structural steel and for the pair of 1897 steam engines.

The present engines, installed in 1897,are a balanced pair of Marshall C-type horizontal stationary steam engines driving a central flywheel (engine numbers 27384 and 27385). The condensers is located below floor.Pipework for steam from the boiler room remains.

Built in yellow London stockbrick laid in Flemishbond with cast iron windows and engineering brick dressings.

The pump house did not form a part of Sir Joseph Bazaljette's Metropolitan Board of Works Scheme.


References

EHList entry Number: 1379203

leabridge.org.uk December 2012
]