The Foundation was formed after the First World War by G.F.J. Macleod, formerly manager of the Hackney Empire and Sir Louis Stanley Johnson MP JP to provide homes for married men who had been enlisted in any of the fighting forces and then disabled. The remit was later extended to help other disabled public service personnel.
Date or period
Group value derives from landscape setting of South Millfields and association with the Millfields Disinfecting centre buildings and the former power station which lined Millfields Road- an expression of the newly founded Hackney Boards civic functions.
The dwellings are arranged symmetrically in terraces around a green, open on one side in a later expression of the Arts and Crafts style,
Designed by Gunton and Gunton, Architects, a partnership of Josiah Gunton and his son William Henry Gunton from 1916-1938 who usually specialised in commercial buildings. Gunton and Gunton is the later name for the partnership of Gordon and Gunton, Architects of Millfield Disinfecting Station and Hackney ‘A’ power station.
Designate a Conservation Area and local listing.
 Summary at http://www.flickr.com/photos/sludgeulper/3466889264/ also referring to Hackney Archives reference D/F/YAT/5/1-5