Date or period
c1832 or c.1850-55
Archaeological Priority Area.
The wall forms the western boundary of the Middlesex Filter Beds Nature Reserve.
The wall encloses the site of the former Lea Bridge Mills and possibly also a fifteenth century reservoir. The Waterworks of 1776 (or earlier) stood to the east, although the land has been greatly remodelled, the course of the River Lea altered and the Hackney Cut created.
The East London Waterworks' water pumping mills and reservoirs were built on the site of the Middlesex Waterworks from 1828 with two main building phases in 1832 and 1855.
Part of the boundary wall survives adjacent to the Hackney Cut, consisting of a brick wall with brick coping above a ragstone base. The stone base may be earlier than the brick wall above.
Two gate piers survive, probably from 1855, but in the position of the earlier entrance to Lea Bridge Mills. The gate piers are of stucco (probably brick beneath) with stucco coping stones with ogee section cornice.
The current entrance to the Filter Beds from the west may not be original, although the coping stones to the poser appear to be older.
The wall has been sympathetically and rebuilt in places.