The main station entrance hall and platform canopies are lost but the platforms and staircases survive.
The Lea Valley line was originally developed as a main line from London to Cambridge, a precursor of the east coast main line.
The station was first named 'Lea Bridge Road' or 'Lea Bridge Walthamstow', and only later (after 1871) known as 'Lea Bridge.
Network Rail / LB of Waltham Forest.
Date or period
Circa. 1839-43. Viaduct 1843
Station viaduct and the adjacent Greyhound Public House have group value.
The Northern and Eastern Railway was originally planned to link Islington with York, via Cambridge in a scheme of 1836. The Act of 1839/40 proposed an alternative route from Stratford to Tottenham and onwards to Broxbourne, Cambridge and York. Services began in 1840 between Shoreditch and Broxbourne via Straford.
This was a wide gauge railway and only later converted to standard gauge by Robert Stephenson in 1844. The conversion to standard gauge was completed in a little over a month with no interruption to services.
The opening of the railway station caused a decline in Lea Bridge turnpike revenues.