Hexagonal concrete-faced 'type 22 pillbox, buried half way up to roof.
Date or period
In June 1940, under the direction of General Edmund Ironside,
concentric rings of anti-tank defences and pillboxes were constructed
in and around London. They comprised: The London Inner Keep, London Stop
Line Inner (Line C), London Stop Line Central (Line B) and London Stop
Line Outer (Line A).
The Outer London Ring was the strongest and best developed of these,
mainly because it could be constructed in open countryside. Work on all
the lines was halted weeks later by Ironside's successor, General Alan Brooke, who favoured mobile warfare above static defence.
The primary purpose of the stop lines and the anti-tank islands that followed was to hold up the enemy, slowing progress and restricting the route of an attack. The need to prevent tanks from breaking through was of key importance. Consequently, the defences generally ran along pre-existing barriers to tanks such as rivers and canals; railway embankments and cuttings; thick woods; and other natural obstacles.
Condition survey needed.