Lee Valley Regional Park Authority
Date or period
Main building phases c. 1856, c. 1886, 1942
Archaeological Priority Zone
Walthamstow Slip, finds, Horse and Groom, Lea Bridge, Lea Bridge Road.
Group value with Lea Bridge, the Headquarters building, the bridge over the watercourse.
These six filter beds grouped around a central well head were constructed in the 1860’s.
The filter beds were originally served by the Duke and Duchess Engines (and later the Musgrave, Connaught and Horizontals).
The filter beds and well head remain largely intact and have been converted into a nature reserve. The connection between the beds and the aqueduct that supplied them remains.
The Leyton beds were served by the Prince Consort Engine. Only three beds survive as a willow woodland with the remainder in-filled.
The No.2 and Leyton filter beds are associated with the episodic development of water treatment and supply at Lea Bridge.
Consider potential conservation area in order to establish a coherent area including all the main phases of waterworks at Lea Bridge and its relationship to social and economic history.