] google-site-verification: googlebff6a43135515ad3.html

Prince & Princess Engine Boiler House

Prince & Princess Engine Boiler House

P1060149
P1060147

The main she with graduated brick arches and original fenestration remains intact.

Details

Ownership

Thames Water/ Dowcra

Date or period

1867

Current Designation

Archaeological Priority Area

Architectural Merit

High


The 'Prince' and 'Princess' engine boiler houses were erected by engineer Charles Greaves. The engines had cylinders of 85 inches diameter, and were associated with the adjacent No.1 Essex Filter Beds. The buildings and the Italianate campanile once formed a bold object on the side of the Lea Bridge Road.

The Prince and Princess boiler sheds survive intact.The main engine building has been demolished to approximately three meters above ground, although the massive stone quoins are still visible. A side wing of the main engine house appears to survive intact

The City of London holds copyrighted photographs of the Prince and Princess Engine Houses, which can beviewed here(opens a new page).

The shed is built of brick with some segmental and some graduated brick arches. Original iron window frames remain.

P1060155


leabridge.org.uk December 2012
]