Date or period
Building of merit, Lea Bridge Conservation Area.
Archaeological Priority Area.
Group value with the River Lea, the Bridge and the weir, the Waterworks buildings to the east and the schoolhouse.
Consider adding to local list.
The Public House is prominent building in views along Lea Bridge Road and along the River Lea. It is a well detailed Edwardian public house in an Arts and Crafts/Queen Anne style and retains many of its original features. It is built of brick and rough cast with plain tiled roof and brick chimneys.
The Prince of Wales visited Clapton Orient Football Ground at Millfields in 30th April 1921. Other buildings in the area were rebuilt 1920-30 because of flooding and public health concerns and the current building may also have been rebuilt at about this time.
The public house is built on the site an earlier Prince of Wales Public House which terminated a residential terrace lining the river. The party wall of the closest terrace house may survive to the south of the Princess of Wales.
The building was parlay adapted as a machine gun post during World War II.