The bridge carries the Black Path, or market Hauliers Route between Hackney and Walthamstow across the railway. The footbridge steps on either side may be a rare survival or early railway architecture. The central span is likely to have been replaced.
Network Rail / LB of Waltham Forest.
Date or period
Station viaduct and the adjacent Greyhound Public House have group value.
The Northern and Eastern railway company was formed in 1835 after the original "Grand Northern Railway" scheme floundered. The route was re-surveyed by engineer James Walker, designer of the Lea Bridge, as part of the 1833 scheme for a railway stretching from Islington to York via Cambridge, Peterborough and Lincoln.
The route was to change ands change again, before it was finally built. An Act of 1836 approved the Northern and Eastern line, but only the 53-mile route as far as Cambridge. An Act of 1839/40 abandoned the section north of Bishop's Stortford and introduced a deviation from Tottenham to Stratford. This is the line travelling north-south through Lea Bridge today.
The first section of the N&ER to open ran between Shoreditch and Broxbourne. Services began on 15th September 1840 between Stratford & Broxbourne.
The railway was originally built to five-foot gauge, but later converted to standard gauge during September and October 1844. Robert Stephenson was engaged to plan the operation, which was carried out in just over a month with no interruption to services.