] google-site-verification: googlebff6a43135515ad3.html

Ship Aground public house

Former Ship Aground public house

Details

Ownership

Trust

Date or period

Circa.1890-1900

Current Designation

Building of merit, Lea Bridge Conservation Area.

Archaeological Significance

Archaeological Priority Zone.

Group Value

Group value with the adjoining former Schoolhouse (with which it shares a building line), the carbonic factory (which also once lined the dock).

Condition

Poor, partly demolished and possibly in an insecure structural state. Neither water nor weather-tight.

Future Conservation

Consider planning enforcement action in relation to apparent planning breaches.

A building of similar proportions has stood on the site from 1830, when the adjacent dock was constructed.

'The Ship' is a welldetailed two storey late 19thCentury public house in red brick (painted) with Pilasters, string courses and cornice in moulded red brick. Arranged as a public house but may possibly have originally functioned as an office/entrance building to the adjacent dock.

Two matching ground floor timber panel entrance doors with windows to each side and leaded lights above. Double pilasters either side and to centre with facia panel running the length of frontage with brackets either side.

Projecting brick pilasters with capitals to first floor font elevation forming architraves to windows. Central three box sash window to centre with matching 12 pane sashes to each side. Segmental brick arches. Two string courses, one running the width of the front first floor at sill level and another above, broken at the window openings.

Parapet wall to front and sides with projecting brick cornice. Hipped slate roof, red clay ridge tiles and valley (slates recently removed). (There is a recent photographic record of the roof materials in good condition). Two chimney stacks to either side with clay plots intact. Cast iron rain water goods.

Side elevations comprise two large ground floor openings to with segmental brick arches – forming doorways on the east side with raised sills on the west (dock) side. Timber windows.

Open yard to front and single storey out buildings to rear (now demolished). Timber cellar entrance door and trap door to east side with segmental arch above and another curious circular opening at pavement level.

Pub sign bracket on timber pole to front (sign removed and bracket partly damaged).

The open forecourt is characteristic of a way-side inn, and marks the association with the development of road transport.

Ship Aground artefact 003

1905 Auction details for the Ship Aground Beer House ' A modern brick building with slate roof''

Ship Aground artefact 001 (1)

Plan accompanying the auction notice above

The name of the pub, attributed to the first building on the site, points to river and dock activity.



leabridge.org.uk December 2012
]