Date or period
The Clapton Federation Synagogue at 47 Lea Bridge Road (formerly Sha’are Shomayim or Clapton Synagogue and Tamud Torah) was founded by Elias Emphraim Frumkin (1880-1958), from a family of east end wine merchants, Frumkin & Co.
Constructed in a cinematic art deco style to a design by Marcus Kenneth Glass, the building was demolished in 2006 in the face of attempts to have it listed. Based in Newcastle, Glass’s 1928 Ryhope Road Synagogue in Sunderland which Pevsner describes as ‘vigorous and decorative’ is listed Grade II.The entrance gates, incorporating an abstract menorah design, survive although these may be more closely associated with the adjacent former Jewish School (possibly also the Clapton Jewish Youth Club), now converted into flats.
The Federation was founded in 1919 and registered at no. 47 Lea Bridge Rd in 1932. The federation was a constituent member of Federation of Synagogues and the building was a 'cathedral synagogue' in 1975. Harold Pinter (playwright), Helen Shapiro (singer), Michael Billington (theatre critic) and Lord Levy (Labour donor) all attended the synagogue and/or school.
'Hackney: Judaism', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 10: Hackney (1995), pp. 145-148. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk