Temple Mills Wagon Works was opened in 1896 by the Great Eastern Railway on a 23 acre site to the east of the Stratford to Lea Bridge line with an entrance off Temple Mills Lane.
The Marshalling yards were reconfigured in the late 1950's when they were described as: "The most modern marshalling yard in the country, Temple Mills is equipped with the latest electronic devices, helping to speed the nation's freight."
Pathe News footage from 1962 includes views of the Marshalling Yards during a Royal visit.
Temple Mills is the site of the £402 million replacement maintenance depot for all Eurostar sets in the UK. The depot is designed to house eight trains (train-roads).