Thames Water/ Dowcra
Date or period
The 'Triples' engine house and boiler sheds are associated with the adjacent No.1 Essex Filter Beds. They were erected by the East London Company’s engineer, W.B. Bryan, and built by Kirk & Randall in 1889/91.
The buildings housed three vertical triple expansion engines commissioned by Bryan and built by Yates & Thom of Blackburn.
The sheds are constructed in brick with graduated brick arches and stone cornice. They survive intact with additions to the western end and some alterations to openings.
The main engine house has been demolished, except for a fragment of the stone plinth course which remains attached to the corner of the boiler shed.
The City of London holds copyrighted photographs of the Triples Engine House, which can be here (open a new page).