Thames Water/ Dowcra
Date or period
The 'Triples engines house and boiler were erected by engineer W.B. Bryan in 1889/91. The engines were associated with the adjacent No.1 Essex Filter Beds.The main building housed three vertical triple expansion engines made by Yates & Thom of Blackburn designed by East London Company’s engineer, W.B. Bryan, and built by Kirk & Randall.
The main engine house has been demolished except for a fragment of the stone plinth course still attached to the corner of the boiler shed.
The Triples boiler sheds survive intact. Parallel sheds in brick with graduated brick arches and stone cornice.
The City of London holds copyrighted photographs of the Triples Engine House, which can be here (open a new page).