The Lee Valley Regional Park was set up by Act of Parliament in 1966. This is the only Regional Park in the country, and Lee Valley Regional Park Authority was “to develop, improve, preserve and manage ... the park as a place for the occupation of leisure, recreation, sport, games or amusements or any similar activity, for the provision of nature reserves and for the provision and enjoyment of entertainments of any kind.” Section 13(1) also states that the Park Authority could lawfully enclose any part of the Park for any of the purposes of the Act. By compulsorily purchasing Walthamstow Marshes and most of Leyton Marshes the existing parliamentary covenants were annulled. So much for perpetuity! However, the Park is a very large place, and most of it is not owned by the Park Authority.
Much of the former Leyton Lammas Lands are not only not owned by the Park Authority but are not even within the Park’s defined boundaries. Seymour Fields and Marsh Lane Fields are adjacent to the Regional Park but not within it and remain vested in the London Borough of Waltham Forest under the terms of the 1904 Corporation Act. The provisions of the 1904 Act continue to apply, and therefore no enclosure at all can legally be permitted.