] google-site-verification: googlebff6a43135515ad3.html

Lea Bridge fair

Lea Bridge Fair

Mannings 'Cake Walk' ride c.1950. William Keating Collection photograph, Leyton Fair, circa 1950. Reproduced with permission of the University of Sheffield


'Edwardian' Teddy Boys at the Lea Bridge Fairground in January 1955. (http://www.edwardianteddyboy.com)

There was a small permanent fair at Lea Bridge, but a 'Magnificent Fair' and travelling circuses would also visit.The fair attracted hordes of people from all over the East End at Easter and other bank holiday weekends. The fair was sited on the current Ice Centre. Travelling fairs still visit Lea Bridge, but are now located on North Millfields.

It seems possible that the fair at Lea Bridge has older, even ancient, origins and may be associated with grazing, fattening and trading cattle, sheep, horses,and foulonthe lammas or common land before driving on to the London markets.

The fairground gave rise to many local tales and adventuresTales of the fairground.

Bob Wilson's Lang Wheels Autodrome (above), Lea Bridge Road, Leyton, April 1939. The FairgroundSociety (http://fairgroundsociety.com/photographs.htm). The sheds of Lathams Yard can be seen in the background.

Home movie of the Fair in 1961

Roy Sellen film of Lea Bridge Fair, 1961.Reproduced with permission of the University of Sheffield. (The type of file may not play on some devices).


The Fairground Society

National Fairground Archive, University of Sheffield

leabridge.org.uk December 2012