The area of the park was once occupied by three large houses and their grounds: Chestnuts; Spring House; and Springfield House.
Springfield House and its adjacent stable block survives today along with the former lodge of the Chestnuts, adjacent to Spring Hill.
When the three houses were put up for sale in 1902, a local campaign grew up to save the gardens and open them to the public. They were eventually purchased by the London County Council in 1904 in order to create a new public park, Springfield Park.
The park was designed by J.J Sexby, who was the Chief Officer of the London County Council (LCC) Parks Department.
The park opened to the public on 15th August 1905.
In addition to the three remaining buildings, there are two structures of note; a timber bandstand and a timber shelter nearby.
The park is listed in the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of interest, Grade II.
The park is London’s only geological nature reserve. A series of springs can be found about half way down the hill where groundwater bubbles up at the boundary of two geological layers; a layer of gravel carrying the groundwater above an impervious layer of clay below.
The springs are sometimes a trickle and at other times there is a vigorous flow. The damp ground creates lush vegetation around and on the slopes below the spring line.