Date or period
1699, or earlier
The Walthamstow Slip is shown on maps of 1699 cutting straight across fields, regardless of natural boundaries, from the Eagle Pond to the River Lea, just below the modern Lea Bridge.
Its origin is uncertain, though various traditions exist.Various myth and legends have grown up about the origins of the Slip.
Part of a Roman Road was uncovered in the summer of 2004, during the reconstruction of the Beaumont housing estate. The piece uncovered was aligned with one of the boundaries of the “Walthamstow Slip“.
The three mile corridor belonged to Walthamstow parish and divided Leyton into two. The Slip varied in width from about 50 to 100 yards . The land formed a part of Walthamstow Tony Manor.
The boundary of the Slip was the source of a continuing disputes. Boundary markers were deliberately altered in 1723.
The history of the Slip is worded in a paper on Leyton House and the Walthamstow Slip for Leyton and Leytonstone Historical Society (opens a PDF).