The half lock’s history can be traced back to some of the earliest interventions to promote navigation, draw water and provide water for power to mills.
The Hackney Cut was built in 1769 with a single set of gates at the start of the canal, near bridge. The gates war designed by the engineer John Smeaton to protect water levels against the competing Lea Bridge Mills and locks down to the level of the Old River Lea.
A "Brick cistern' lock with double gates replaced the single gates 1793 to the south and a lock with double gates in 1850, when the lock was taken out of use and removed.
Pond Lane gates were redundant by 1872, but retained as a flood relief measure until their removal, when Pond Lane Flood Gates were built with 'guillotine' like gates further upstream.
Today, there are two water channels with central pier that appear to relate to the 1920s flood gates, now removed. The massive granite quoin stones may relate to the earlier full (pound) lock or the earlier half lock.
The adjacent Lock Keepers Cottage was rebuilt in the 1920s by the Lea Conservancy on or near the site of Strong's Farm Cottage.
Include within an extended Lea Bridge Conservation Area.
Lee and Stort (http://www.leeandstort.co.uk/)