] google-site-verification: googlebff6a43135515ad3.html

Homerton Lock

Hackney Brick Cistern or Homerton Lock

This pound lock was constructed in 1769 as part of the Hackney Cut.A Lock House was constructed in 1813.

The Lock was demolished between 1862-1864 when the navigation from Lea Bridge to Old Ford was thrown into one level.The old Homerton Lock House (called "Brick Lock Cottage") was retained.

The Lock House was extended and adapted to house one of the Conservancy Board's Constables in 1910 and remained in use as a Board employees dwelling until its demolition in 1946.


References

Lee and Stort (http://www.leeandstort.co.uk/)

leabridge.org.uk December 2012
]