Date or period
Lea Bridge Conservation Area. Archaeological Priority Area.
Demolished or infilled (except for the dock entrance).
Ship Aground, Carbonic factory, Dock Bridge.
Some of the earliest wharves on the Lea grew up at Lea Bridge. Paradise Dock existed in 1831 but was only later called Lea Bridge or Ashpitel's Dock.
The Dock was constructed by W.H. Ashpitel (sometimes Ashpital), a noted local architect and surveyor who also purchased the surrounding land, known as 'Paradise Field' and named after a small cottage that stood nearby. The land was formerly owned by Henry Greville, Earl of Warwick.
The Dock was not a commercial success because goods vehicles serving the Dock were required to pay turnpike tolls when travelling east or west but also bridge tolls to cross the Lea Bridge travelling eastwards.
The Dock was bounded by industrial buildings including the 'Eclipse' glass works to the east and a carbonic acid gas works to the west.
The Ship Aground public House still marks the north east corner of the Dock and previoulsy enjoyed wharfage rights.
The bridge over the entrance to the Dock was replaced in 1853 in order to form a road access to the Middlesex Filter Beds.
Radleys Boat House operated from the south east corner in the mid to late nineteenth century.
The Dock structure was demolished by the Paradise Park residential development, although a water feature and landscaped areas approximately mark the outline of the Dock.