The weir is sometimes now referred to as Middlesex Filter beds Weir, but this seems to be a later association. A weir at this point was also referred to as the "Upper Ford'.
Thames Water/ Canals and Waterways Trust
Date or period
The weir in this location was probably first erected to provide water to power to a cornmill from about 1707. However, earlier structures had been erected in the area, including an early form of lock called a 'flashlock'.
A mill, from which North Mill field in 1381 and South Mill field in 1443 were named, was presumably the forerunner of corn mills at Lea Bridge..
The weir also seems to be indivisble from records of wooden bridges crossings between islands and linking Hackney with Leyton including 'Lockbridge' - from 1485, possibly the first Lea Bridge that may have also been a type of lock or weir known as a flash lock.