] google-site-verification: googlebff6a43135515ad3.html

Lea Dock

Lea or Hammonds Dock

Lea Dock, looking east c.1905 (hackney Archives). The Kings Head is just to the left of the lamp post with Leyton Marsh beyond, across the Lea. The building to the left may be one of Radley's boat yards, but this is disputed.

John Hammond was a calico printer who was building immediately south of Lea dock in 1832 and acquired more land here in 1838.

Radley's boat yard with Lea Dock in the foreground (Hackney Archives)

A brickfield leased with a wharf at Lea dock, north-west of Lea bridge, to James and Alfred Stroud in 1865was the only onemarked in 1883; probably it had gone by 1901.

The site later formed part of Latham's Yard and is no the Lathams residential development


The footbridge across Lea Dock with Reader Boat Hire behind in a painting byT.Van Thjiskheide(Hackney Archives).


References

'Hackney: Economic History', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 10: Hackney (1995), pp. 92-10

leabridge.org.uk December 2012
]