Radley's Boat House, Lea Dock c. 1920 (Hackney Archives). (Reported destroyed by fire before 1920)
The Lea was lined with boat yards and boat houses from at least the middle of the nineteenth century. These yards variously built and repaired boats; hired out boats for leisure and fishing trips; or stored the boats and acted as a base for the many competitive rowing clubs that grew up in the mid to late nineteenth century.
Footage of the first all women regatta held by the Cecil Ladies' Rowing Club in 1925. More
The Radley boat building business was established on the Lea in the 1850s and survived for over a 100 years. There were at least were three Radley boat houses.
The boat house was located in the south east corner of Lea Bridge Dock and was connected to the River Lea by a short channel that travelled under Dock Bridge. Road access was from Waterworks Lane. The yard was used by nine rowing clubs in the 1880's. The dock has been infilled and subsumed into the Paradise Park development. Dock Bridge survives.
The yard is described in auction details in 1905 as: 'Boat builders premises comprising workshop of two floors with store house and dressing rooms, boat store and two club rooms
Radley's was located on the east bank of the Lea below the High Bridge. Lee Valley Regional Park Authority demolished the boat houses in 1969 and developed the Springfield Marina on the site.
Click here to read the story of the Radley boat building family (opens a new page).
Tyrrell’s boathouse was a boat-building workshop located at the bottom of Spring Hill on the west bank of the Lea, opposite Radley's Yard. It became the home of the North London Amateur Rowing Association in 1953. A cluster of older and more modern boat houses remains today in this location. The post-war boat house was proposed to be locally listed in 2012 (No. 94).
Eight rowing clubs used this yard in the 1880's, including Clapton Ladies Boating Club. This boat house was proposed to be locally listed in 2012 (No. 93).
Thirteen boat clubs used this yard in the 1880s.
Pleasure boats and punts could be hired at High Hill ferry, which depended heavily on the seasonal income from river users.
Pleasure boats and punts could be hired at the Jolly Anglers public house, Middlesex Wharf. The area was cleared in either 1912 and/or the 1930s.
Radley Boat Builders River Lea, Clive Radley http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/r/a/d/Clive-Radley/index.html
Recollections, comments, contributions and corrections
Do you have something to add? Please use the box below to comment. Go to the feedback page to forward material to be added. Photographs, family histories and personal recollections are particularly welcome.