] google-site-verification: googlebff6a43135515ad3.html

Lost buildings & structures

Lost buildings & structures

Waterworks Railway

The Waterworks was served by a narrow gauge railway and also a standard gauge branch line supplying engine coal and filter bed gravel and sands.

More


Duke and Duchess Engine House

The Duke and Duchess engines were built in about 1878 and served the No.2 Essex Filter Beds in the north east corner of the Waterworks.

More


Connaught Engine House

The Connaught Engine House joined a cluster of engine houses in the north east corner of the Waterworks

More


River God Statue

ThisSculpture by Joseph Theakston of York (1772-1842) was commissioned by East London Waterworks Company and originally installed at Old Ford in 1811.

More


Large Turbine House

The Large Turbine House provided water wheel power to the works from at least 1855. The building survived into the twentieth century.

More


Victoria Engine House

The Victoria Engine was the first was installed at the Waterworks in 1854 and was then the largest engine in London.

More


http://leabridge.org.uk/_Media/pasted-file-42.pdf

Southern Aqueduct

An open aqueduct was dug from Lea Bridge to reservoirs at Old Ford under anAct of 1829 to supply fresh water, above the influence of the tide.

More


Musgrave Engine House

The engine house served the No. 2 Essex filter beds and is named after the Worthington pumping engines it contained.

More


Prince Consort Engine House

The engine house built to serve the Leyton Filter beds in the south west corner of the Essex Waterworks site. The building is depicted in a watercolour painting.

More


Foreman's House (1855)

The foreman’s house was designed by renowned Arts and Crafts architect George Devey to act as the gatehouse to the Waterworks.

More


http://leabridge.org.uk/_Media/pasted-file-42.pdf

Foreman's House (1890's)

The foreman’s house was designed by GE Holman, architect of the survivingEngineers House (The Red House).

More


Northern aqueduct

The northern aqueduct linked Lea Bridge with the reservoirs and engine house at Coppermill and was conceived by engineer Charles Greaves.

More


P1060147

Prince and Princess engine house

Engine houses erected by engineer Charles Greaves associated with the adjacent No.1 Essex Filter Beds. Probably named for children of Queen Victoria

More


'Triples' engine house(1889-91)

The ‘triples’ engine house was associated with the No.1 Filter Beds and was commissioned by Chief Engineer W.B. Bryan.

More



leabridge.org.uk December 2012
]