] google-site-verification: googlebff6a43135515ad3.html

Arthur Ashpitel

Arthur Ashpitel, Architect (1807-1869)

Ashpitel was architect ofSt James' Schoolhouse(or Mission Rooms) at Lea Bridge (by the earlier entrance to the Lea Bridge Waterworks).

Ashpitel's preliminary sketch proposal entered into a competition for what is now known as 'Old Hackney Town Hall' in Mare Street. Ashpitel's scheme for St Barnabas, Homerton incorporates an homage to St Augustine's tower.

He was alsoarchitect ofSt. Barnabas Church, Homerton (1845), later adding the parsonage (1848) and the north aisle and vestry (1852).

He completed works at the London Orphan Asylum in Clapton and the Wellington Testimonial at the Southwark end of London Bridge.

He was associated with John Whichcord with whom designed many churches, baths and washhouses in London and Kent.

He designed the Gravel Pit Chapel at Hackney and modelartisans’cottages, also in Hackney, schools for Holy Trinity, Hoxton, a gothic stone fronted public house in Redcross Street in the City and undertook research that informed Sir Charles Barry’s Charing Cross and designed the ornament cast on the Big Ben bell.

He was associated with architectural education and examination at the RIBA and the Architectural Association. The Ashpitel prize was named in his honour.[1]


References

[1]The Architect, 30thJanuary 1869, pages64-65

leabridge.org.uk December 2012
]