Seaton was appointed assistant engineer to the East London Waterworks Company in 1874 and, in 1875, was made Engineer in Chief.
He designed and successfully executed extensive additions to the works at Lea Bridge, including filter-beds and two sets of pumping engines; the Duke and Duchess Engine Houses (1878/80) which housed two compound rotative beam engines.
After earlier assisting with the Copenhagen Waterworks, from 1861-70 he was an assistant to Mr. Simpson, engaged in preparing plans for works of the Lambeth, Chelsea, and Stockport water companies.
Seaton subsequently assisted in the design and implementation of waterworks Pest, Turin, and many of the principal towns in Austria, Hungary, and Russia.
 GLC Information