James Walker designed the first iron bridge across the Lea at Lea Bridge in 1819.
Walker built the Bishop Rock and Needles lighthouses and Greenland Dock.
Walker was an associate of John Rennie and the nephew of Ralph Walker, the first Engineer of the East London Waterworks Company in 1807.
James Walker’s 1813 scheme for a cast iron bridge at Vauxhall for The Vauxhall Bridge Company replaced an aborted scheme by Rennie of 1811 that was rejected as too expensive. The bridge was opened in 1816 and was at first called Regent's Bridge. It was the first iron bridge over the Thames.