Christopher Musgrave played a central role in battles to defend the Marshes against encroachment by the then East London Waterworks Company.
He was a Liberal member of Leyton Local Board (the district council) from 1877 and a Essex County Councillor. He was a Justice of the Peace from 1906 He was later elected Chairman of the Essex County Council in 1829, shortly before his death.
He had earlier campaigned against pollution of the Dagenham Brook by Walthamstow and the ineffective responses of the Dagenham Commissioners in Leyton. He was appointed or elected under the Lea Conservancy Act 1900 a 'Conservator' on the Lea Conservancy Board, representing Essex County Council, from 1901 until at least 1920. The Board was charged with maintaining the navigation, the Lee Conservancy Board is charged with the duty of preventing the pollution of the water of the river and its tributaries.
Musgrave became an original Member of the Metropolitan Water Board and was Chairman from 1922-1928. He and knighted on 3rd July 1926 'for public services'.
The Musgrave Engine House at Lea Bridge (now demolished) is reputedly named after Cllr. Musgrave, but this may be a happy coincidence in that the engine installed was a type known as a Musgrave engine. Musgrave supplied vertical compound pumping engines working two "Ashley " deep well pumps to a design of W.B. Bryan, at Lea Bridge.
The London Gazette, 16th July 1926
The Edinburgh Gazette July 6 1926.
Hansard LEA CONSERVANCY BOARD (CHARGES). HC Deb 01 July 1920 vol 131 cc686-7W
Justice of the Peace and Local Government Review - Volume 93 - Page 239
Who was who: A Companion to "Who's Who". - Volume 3 - Page 987 1929-1940
The Municipal Journal and Public Works Engineer - Volume 38, Issues 1875-1900 - Page 534
Surveyor - Volume 14 - Page 21 1898
Is this the same person as Sir Christopher Patrick Charles Musgrave, 15th Baronet, of Hartley Castle (born 1949)?