In 1809, Theakston was commissioned to sculpt a statue of a river god by the East London Waterworks Company for their original works at Old Ford, Bow.
It remained there until the site was closed, when it was removed to the Old Water Wheel House at Lea Bridge Works.
When, in 1971, this site closed, it was re-sited to its present location in Coppermill Lane.
Theakston worked for Sir Francis Legatt Chantrey (1781–1841) who was famous for statues and groups. Chantery’s best known pieces include a statue of the inventor James Watt. ‘The ablest drapery and ornamental artists of this time’. Associated with works in Coadestone. Whilst often aiding the works of others, he produced several original works last of the scholars or pupils of John Bacon (1740–1799).
 The Art-Union Volume III for the year ending December 1841 Page 99 (Published 1842)