] google-site-verification: googlebff6a43135515ad3.html

Ralph Walker

Ralph Walker, Engineer (1749-1824)


Ralph Walker (Science Museum)

Ralph Walker appointed Engineer to the newly formed East London Waterworks Company from August 1807 to 1824. He designed and supervised the construction the original Old Ford works along with two low level reservoirs and an upper distribution reservoir. Walker opposed the introduction of steam engines in 1807. He was an adjudicator at the Rainhill locomotive trials on the Liverpool and Manchester Railway and designed and built twenty-nine lighthouse towers for Trinity House including the Bishop Rock lighthouse on the Isles of Scilly.

leabridge.org.uk December 2012